Monday, January 10, 2011

coconut chicken curry soup

Soup night was well overdue for a return and we kicked the round off well. I'm a wuss so I left out the jalapeno. Regardless, this is really good soup.

Coconut Chicken Curry Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 whole chicken breasts, diced
½ large onion, chopped fine
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger (I used a bit of dried)
1-½ cup chicken broth
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk, full fat (this stuff tastes amazing)
2 tsp curry powder
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (left out)
1 small green bell pepper, sliced thin
½ c chopped fresh cilantro plus extra for garnish
2 Tbsp lime juice
salt and pepper
2 c freshly cooked rice

Preparation Instructions
1. In a medium-sized soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper. Sauté until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Sauté the onion, adding more oil if necessary, until tender.

2. Return the chicken to the pot with the onions. Add the ginger; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder and jalapeno. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add bell pepper and cilantro and simmer an additional 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Optional: Spoon rice into 4 bowls. Top with a ladle or two of soup. Garnish with additional cilantro and a sprinkling of shredded coconut. Serve.



In attendance: me, Kristin, Jennifer, Amanda, Laura, Lindsey, Christina

Extra tidbits: bread from Wealthy Street Bakery, the use of new soup mugs from my brother and almost sister-in-law

To spare: not a drop

Looking back, I would have doubled the recipe for this many people so that I could have some left over. I most definitely served it over rice. I even ended up adding about 1 c more chicken broth and more curry and lime juice to make it stretch a bit. It was a hit!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! But probably not to the rest of the household.
    Thanks for the card!

    ReplyDelete