Friday, October 30, 2009

meatloaf

After writing on Facebook yesterday that I wanted meatloaf, and though I had tempting offers of someone else's leftovers or dinner at the end of a 10-hour drive, I found myself at the grocery store after work, recipe in hand.

A bit of background on this: 1) I couldn't find a recipe quickly that matched my idea of the meatloaf I had growing up (mom, you did put oatmeal in yours, right? I'll need that recipe if you have it somewhere), 2) I have been house-sitting for the last week, so had even less of an idea of what I had in my own house than I usually do.

All I really managed to buy was the meat. I forgot that I didn't have milk, that I only had two pieces of bread, and no mustard. So, here's the original list of ingredients and what I did instead (the whole recipe is here):

  • 1 pound Lean Ground Beef - this I had
  • 1 cup Milk- nope, 1 cup of water instead
  • 1 whole Egg- check
  • 3 slices Bread, Torn Up Into Small Pieces - kind of
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce - yep
  • ½ Tablespoons Onion Powder (or 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion) - went with the actual onion
  • ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt - a few shakes of the salt shaker
  • ½ teaspoons Dry Ground Mustard - nope, nor did I have real mustard. I used curry instead. It's yellow, right?
  • ¼ teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper - dumped some in from the little box
  • ¼ teaspoons Hot Sauce - I added chili powder
  • ⅛ teaspoons Garlic Powder - two dollops of real garlic
  • ½ cups Ketchup - definitely had this
  • ¼ cups Maple Syrup (or Brown Sugar) - sweet seemed weird after all the savory, so I skipped this
Verdict? It was/is meatloaf alright. Made my apartment smell yummy and went well with steamed broccoli. We'll see how it does for leftovers today. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... curry in meatloaf. Interesting. I will send you my recipe, yes it has oatmeal in it.

    ReplyDelete