Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Point West French Chocolate Pie

Though this pie was one of my mom's many, many contributions to the Thanksgiving menu this year, I was thrilled to have the chance to make it on her behalf.**

So I'm chugging along, creaming things, melting things, beating each egg for 5 minutes, when suddenly it dawns on me that something seems to be missing from the instructions. Where does it say how long to bake it? Wait. What? You don't bake this pie!? There are eggs in there!! Uhhh... I like this pie so much that I needed to stop thinking about it at this point and finish up. And yes, I ate at least two pieces and so far I'm fine. ;)

(from Eet Smakelijk)

9" baked pastry shell or graham cracker crust
Filling:
3/4 c butter
1 c sugar
2 (1 oz each) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
sweetened whipped cream

Cream butter. Add sugar slowly and whip till smooth. Blend in chocolate. Add eggs one at a time, whipping 5 mins after each (very important). Add vanilla. Pour into pie shell. Chill several hours. Top with whipped cream.

8 servings

**especially since I have a very distinct memory of her making this pie when I was little: when she stepped away from the mixer (while it was beating one of the eggs), it decided to explode chocolate pie filling all over the kitchen--every horizontal and vertical surface. And, if I'm not mistaken, we had carpet in that kitchen at that particular time. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment