A while back I read somewhere that canned pumpkin was going to be sparsely available this year so I grabbed a few large cans and stuck them in my pantry (ha! my pantry is a 12" x 14" shelf!). I pulled one out last night to make a pumpkin cake to bring to work just because it's a Friday. The recipe I followed is this one, but only for the cake itself.
As I often do with allrecipes.com, I browsed through the reviews and comments and was pleased to find that I could make this cake in a 9 x 13 pan without compromising quality (totally true!), seeing as how a 10 x 15 pan does not even fit in my oven. :( I also took the suggestion of not using all the sugar and next time will also make the oil/applesauce swap.
For the frosting I used this recipe. Kind of. Again, I took the offered advice not to use all of the called-for sugar, adding only 2 cups of powdered sugar. However, I managed to miss the translation from "1/2 cup butter" on paper to the tablespoon-to-cup measurements on the stick of butter itself. So I ended up with twice as much butter (two sticks!). The only thing strange was the consistency of the finished frosting. I suppose I could have kept adding sugar to bulk it up, but it already tasted the way I wanted it to. Oh well. Next time ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment